Course Admission and Confirmation
BA&CE courses are open to participants 16 years of age and older, unless the course is especially for children. You are officially enrolled and your name is placed upon the class roster as soon as we receive your registration form and payment. Please note that we do not send written confirmations (unless one is requested and an email address is provided). Unless we contact you, please assume that you are enrolled in the class(es) of your choice.
A $6 registration fee is charged once per person, per semester. This fee helps fund scholarships so that all can participate. The fee does not apply to courses of $15 or less.
Scholarships and Discounts
- All School and Town of Brookline Employees receive a 20 percent discount on course fees (excluding material, food, or wine fees and contracted courses).
- Partial tuition-remission is available for those in need of scholarship assistance. Disabled veterans, persons on Social Security Disability (SSDI), or receiving AFDC receive a 25 percent discount on course fees upon presenting a letter of verification or veterans’ identification. Please call (617) 730-2700 for more information. Please note: completed scholarship forms are due one week in advance of the course start date.
- Persons over 65 receive 25 percent discount on courses except where indicated. This discount does not apply to courses marked senior discount does not apply, or food, wine, material, studio, and shop fees, or contracted courses. Students 60 years of age or older are eligible to enroll in senior-only classes.
- If you are a current student, bring a friend with you when you register for a class and you will receive 10 percent off your course tuition. You must be listed in our database to be considered a current student. Your friend must be new to BA&CE, and registrations must be concurrent for you to receive a discount. The discount must be used in the current term, is not transferable, and cannot be combined with other discounts, waivers, or scholarships.
The program reserves the right to cancel classes that are under-enrolled, to change dates, times, and locations when necessary, and to substitute instructors. We will contact you with all cancellations and changes to course dates, times, and locations.
Most textbooks can be purchased at the Brookline Booksmith, 279 Harvard Street, Brookline, 617-566-6660. Textbook prices are subject to change by the publisher.
The Town of Brookline does not discriminate on the basis of disability in admission to, access to, or operations of its programs, services or activities. If you need assistance or special accommodations, please contact the BA&CE office at 617-730-2700 or 617- 713-5097 (TTY).
Instructor biographies accompany each of our online course listings.
All classes are limited. If the class you wish to register for is filled, you will be placed on a waitlist. Our office will contact you if space becomes available. Please note: you are not officially enrolled if you are still on a waitlist.
Refunds, credits, and transfers
Before the start of class:
We will refund your full tuition, or issue you a course credit:
- In the event that your course is cancelled due to low enrollment.
- If you withdraw from a class at least three business days (72 hours) in advance of starting time, you may request a refund, minus a $10 processing fee. If you elect to receive a course credit (valid for the next two terms, see below), the $10 processing fee will be waived. The $6 registration fee is non-refundable, unless we cancel due to low enrollment.
- Food and Wine Classes: In order to receive a refund or a credit for a food or wine course or a food or wine fee we must have at least five (5) business days notice in advance of the starting time of the class. No refunds or credits are given after this time.
- Special events and lectures are non-refundable.
- No refunds or credits are given for rescheduled classes or changes to locations or instructors.
- Refunds will not be given in cash. Credit card refunds will be processed within five to seven business days. Refunds issued by check will be processed within two to four weeks.
If you choose to withdraw from a class at least three (3) business days in advance of the start date, you may elect to receive a full credit. If you choose to withdraw from a food and wine course at least (5) business days in advance of the start date, you may elect to receive a full credit. After this time, no credits are given. Please note: credits are good for two terms only and are non-refundable. A verification letter with an issue date and credit amount will be mailed.
- You may transfer to any other class offered during the term prior to the second meeting of the class you are dropping, provided that there is space available in the class you wish to transfer to. This excludes transfer from one food or wine class to another. No refunds are given for price differences, but any additional amount can be applied to another course in the same term.
- We regret that no transfers can be granted after the first class for two-four week courses, and no transfers can be granted after the second session for five-nine week classes.